Sunday, August 16, 2009

Decorating with Mid Century Modern, Part 1

I'd love to live in a completely mid century modern home, but the truth is I live in a 90-year-old Philadelphia row home. I have to embrace the architecture for what it—play up its strengths and create individuality where I can (such houses are pretty cookie-cutter.) And honestly, as much as I love my mid century modern finds they seem to contemporize best when mixed with pieces from other periods.

In addition to my Pottery Barn purchases (we all have them), I've amassed more than a few family heirlooms that don't quite fit the mid century mold but have too much sentimental value to be replaced. Over time I've found quite a bit of inspiration to guide me as I create a home that integrates mid century and other styles seamlessly.

I thought I would share some of my inspiration (mostly sourced from the designers and artists contributing to design*sponge) with you.

Dana D'Amico mixes feminine accents and a comfy sofa with her vintage credenza:


A mid century metal chair compliments the bold, graphic print Basak of Small Square Design hung in beside the sink:


A collection of vintage globes adds interest to Hannah Berman's book shelf:


Dave's and Surya's plaid table cloth compliments the warmth of their wooden mid century dining chairs:


Hannah Berman's living room feels comfortable and lived in with its casual sofa and mid century coffee table. The lamp is pretty great, too:


Diane Stafford allows this fantastic dresser to be the focal point by dressing it minimally with objects of simple shape and design:


Mid century should not be limited to adult spaces. Dave and Surya have mixed this great lamp into a child's room seamlessly:


The simple lines of mid century design can mix well with almost any style, even more feminine looks like the dining room below (Hannah Berman.)


Bright vintage Pyrex adds pops of color to a buttery kitchen in Dave and Surya's home:


Emily Johnston Anderson hits a more formal note with her mid century coffee table:


Jill Roberson cleverly displays a small collection of book covers from the 50s and 60s in clear frames (I'm totally stealing this idea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment